Please use the drop down menus above to configure your Compu-Dobby upgrade for pricing.
The Compu-Dobby® system is a compact, custom-designed electronic interface between your personal computer and AVL dobby loom. Dobbies are a fantastic way to simplify the weaving process. No more keeping track of complex treadling routines and difficult tie-ups. The Compu-Dobby improves on the mechanical dobby by allowing much more rapid design changes and virtually unlimited pattern repeats.
Compu-Dobby upgrades are designed to fit the AVL dobby head designs, including the positive or classic style dobby and the negative style dobby.
Positive Dobby Equipped Looms
- Mechanical dobby equipped looms
- Folding Dobby Loom (FDL)
- Production Dobby Loom (PDL)
- Studio Dobby Loom (SDL)
- Technical Dobby Loom (TDL)
- Industrial Dobby Loom (IDL) *Special IDL configuration required.*
- Rug Loom, Professional Dobby (RL) *Special Air-Compu-Dobby configuration required.*
Negative Dobby Equipped Looms
- Workshop Dobby Loom (WDL) *Special WDL configuration required.*
When making a purchase please choose what voltage where you will plug this unit into. For example, the standard voltage for households in the United States is 110-120 VAC.
Launched first in 2018 with the K-Series loom, the Compu-Dobby 5 advances the state of the art with new features, capabilities and reliability. Compu-Dobby 5 is considerably ahead of the competition with features like:
- Large on board memory storage for WIF pattern files
- Compatibility with all operating systems, just requires a modern web browser
- WiFi through LAN or direct, or USB connections
- AVLDrive built-in driver requires no software or drivers to be installed!
- Faster, highly reliable pick selection
- Advanced diagnostics detects solenoid and power line failures
- Internet-based updates
What type of dobby do I have?
- Mechanical dobby
- Compu-Dobby I is one solenoid box with a small handheld control unit with six buttons on it. This unit has a 25 pin serial port.
- Compu-Dobby II has two fairly equal sized boxes, one of which has a Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) unit. This unit has a 9-pin serial port.
- Compu-Dobby IV looks like a Compu-Dobby I, but without the small small handheld control unit. This unit has 9-pin serial, USB and Ethernet ports.
- Compu-Dobby 4.5 looks like a Compu-Dobby I, but without the small small handheld control unit. This unit has a USB port and a WiFi button antenna.
- Compu-Dobby III is one big box, no secondary boxes.
- Compu-Dobby IV is also one big box and looks like a Compu-Dobby III, but with the addition of Ethernet & USB ports. Also, the Compu-Dobby IV often has side windows.
- Compu-Dobby 4.5 also looks like Compu-Dobby IV, but has a WiFi antenna in place of the Ethernet port. The 9-pin serial port is absent on the 4.5. The Compu-Dobby 4.5 has side windows.
Still unsure? Contact AVL with your serial number and we will be happy to look it up for you.
Manuals & Software
Compu-Dobby 5 manuals, release notes and other technical bulletins can be found here.
Older Compu-Dobby Manuals can be found here.
WeavePoint 8: WeavePoint offers direct launching of the Compu-Dobby 5 internal driver (AVLDrive ver.5).